· The Role
· Key Purpose of Job
· To provide a holding position whilst future permanent structures are designed and implemented.
· To manage the overall operational performance through the accountability of the directors, to allocate resources, manage risks, and provide leadership and inspiration.
· To represent the company with customers and service users, the Company public and partner organization’s so as to raise the reputation of the company and promote the interests of the Company and its people.
· Anticipated Outcomes of Post
· To support the implementation of a new management structure
· To support the achievement of reductions and changes in service
· To ensure continuity of strategic leadership
· Delegated powers are achieved successfully.
· List Key Duties and accountabilities of the post
· To work closely with members of the Company's leadership team to make corporate management decisions.
· To advise the Members and company, as part of the management team on the preparation, review and delivery of the company's business and financial plans and to take responsibility for the achievement of specific parts.
· To embed a culture that places customers first, adopts a can-do approach and focuses on communities and working locally.
· To provide advice and recommendations to members on significant policy decisions.
· To promote and exemplify local open and honest decision making, including the company's formal governance structure.
· To work with public and other relevant bodies to support Company's communities, through services and activities which address local concerns.
· To contribute to the preparation and share responsibility for the implementation of:
· The business plan;
· The financial plan and annual budget-especially volatile areas of expenditure;
· Corporate efficiency targets and initiatives;
· Organizational performance and development;
· Local Area Agreement
· To represent the company at regional/national level.
· To contribute to the corporate management of the strategic risks facing the company
· To act as the principal interface between corporate policies, priorities and projects and their application across all services of the company, including the achievement of the business and financial plans.
· To discharge any statutory functions associated with the post of Chief Operating Officer, this includes:
· The statutory role of director for adult services, which will be the responsibility of one corporate director.
· The statutory role of director for children's services, which will be the responsibility of one corporate director.
· To ensure that best practice is implemented and innovation encouraged in all arrears of the Company's activities.
· To ensure effective consultation and communication with the public on the relevant aspects of Company services.
· To develop links with key bodies and institutions to support the delivery of the Company's plans.
· To ensure the development and implementation of appropriate policies, procedures and strategies to support the change/improvement agenda.
· To ensure that Company is nationally recognized for innovative and outstanding work
· To ensure that a 'cross cutting' approach to service delivery is operational within the Company.
· To ensure that the Company has a strong role in community leadership.
· To ensure that the Company is customer focused and adheres to its values and standards.
· To develop effective and pro-active relationships with other public sector organization’s in the area including other local authorities.
· To act as the accountable officer for all the Company's activities to the elected members.
· To ensure that the Company's processes of scrutiny work effectively.
· To support the democratic processes of the Company.
· To undertake all civic and ceremonial duties commensurate with the status of the Chief Operating Officer.
· Accountability -Budget
· Influence over the Company's full budget
· Other Duties
· To undertake additional duties as required, commensurate with the level of the job.
· Essential Qualifications & Professional Experience:
· 15-20 years of holding company management experience
· Minimum 5 years of experience as COO/CEO
· A relevant qualification to degree level (or equivalent)
· Professional Management qualification.
· In depth experience at a senior management level of successfully managing a range of functions and services.
· Operating successfully in a senior management level in a dynamic and complex environment.
· Experience of developing cross-sector partnerships working both as a contributor and in a leadership role.
· Experience of working in a large and diverse workforce, managing complex budgets and other resources
· Experience of operating successfully at senior management level at a large multi-disciplinary organization
· Understanding of a demonstrable commitment to partnership working and the democratic process
· Experience of high level strategic planning and the delivery of high quality services to meet local needs
· Experience of managing significant organizational change and improvement programmes
· Essential Skills And Effectiveness
· Ability to build consensus, persuade, negotiate and influence without direct line management or control of resources.
· To innovate, design and implement.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills.
· Ability to use effectively a number of different leadership styles
· Ability to handle conflict and manage sensitive issues to achieve positive outcomes.
· Ability to create an environment of trust, fairness and openness.
· Ability to develop purposeful partnerships and relationships with key stakeholders.
· Significant involvement in preparing, managing and controlling substantial budgets.
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Ability to contribute to wider Company working and development
· Ability to encourage innovation and new approaches whilst managing risk
· Ability to identify the key matters that will affect the Company in the future and develop strategies to meet them
· Ability to demonstrate sensitivity and awareness
Commitment to continued personal and professional development.